A free online event
about becoming an “Appointed Person”
Wednesday 22 September 2021
12 – 1.30 pm
An “Appointed Person” (AP) is a senior lawyer who is an expert in IP law. APs hear appeals against IPO decisions on trade mark and design cases. They are appointed by the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC), an independent commission that selects candidates for judicial office in courts and tribunals in England and Wales.
This free online event, brought to life by the UK Intellectual Property Office (IPO) and IP Inclusive’s Careers in Ideas initiative, will talk about what the AP role involves and give you a chance to learn from those already in post. We’re pleased to welcome speakers from the JAC, who will explain about the application process and the work they are doing to support diversity more broadly.
We are also delighted that Mr Justice Meade has agreed to deliver the opening address.
Discussions will cover:
- What the AP role involves
- The skills it requires
- Who can apply
- Typical working arrangements
- The importance of a diverse judiciary and what’s being done towards that
- How you can prepare if you’d like your career to develop in this direction
The event will include a chaired panel discussion in which our experts will share their personal experiences as well as the basic facts. We’ll then provide a chance for you to meet with individual APs in less formal breakout sessions, so you can ask your own questions and network with other IP professionals.
Please note that this event is not timed to coincide with an AP competition; it merely provides information for those considering applying for the role in future.
Confirmed panellists include:
- Daniel Alexander QC, Appointed Person
- Ruth Annand, Appointed Person
- Emma Himsworth QC, Appointed Person
- Tom Mitcheson QC, Appointed Person
- Brie Stevens-Hoare QC, Commissioner, Judicial Appointments Commission
- Claire Thurlow, Senior Stakeholder Engagement and Diversity Manager, Judicial Appointments Commission
- Brian Whitehead, Appointed Person
This event is open to all IP professionals, legal professionals and other would-be APs. To register, please visit the Eventbrite link above (top right). If you would prefer not to use Eventbrite, please contact email@example.com and we’ll be happy to help.
This event is free. So are all our resources. We think it’s important to keep Careers in Ideas and IP Inclusive the right side of the paywall.
That said, we do need money to keep the show on the road, so if you enjoy the event please consider contributing to our 2021-22 fundraising campaign. For individual ad hoc donations, our crowdfunding page is here. Or for more information – including for corporate sponsors – visit our general fundraising page here.